They propose the "Genre Model" which identifies elements of adoption and the change in patterns of communication as a tool for evaluating new technology. The model consists of six elements:
- Why - what is the purpose and expectation
- What - what content will be communicated
- Who - participants in the communication and their roles
- Where - location of the communication, physical or virtual, geographic dispersion
- When - temporal elements, like how quickly do you expect a response
- How - manner and form of communication, such as format and structure
The method of the article is an interesting way to approach new social media platforms both externally and internally.