If your firm has an internal blogging platform, jump on board and start writing. It is good for your career to think about your job for a few minutes a day and write down a few of those thoughts.
. . .
- Senior management will want to know who you are and what you are saying. Are you a threat or an innovative individual who’s willing to share his thoughts in a public forum?
- The first blog is like a when a new kid starts school. People want to know who you are, what you are like and what you have to say. Whether they take to you after this is another matter and is up to you.
- It can feel like a new era has dawned on your company. This is especially true if the blog originates outside of a technical IT line. Such a simple thing as a blog can make people feel like the company is moving with the times both culturally and technically.
- You are doing something new that others wish they had the courage to do, so they’ll take notice and champion your efforts.
- You’ll be seen as a risk talker and innovator. In many companies this is a good thing.
I’m not saying any old Joe can achieve great things just by blogging. However if you really are great, and have great ideas and interesting things to say, then step up and get noticed.
If your firm does not have an internal blogging platform, set up an external blog. It only takes a minute to set one up using a hosted blogging platform like Blogger or WordPress. (Of course check to see if your firm has a blogging/internet/social media policy and make sure you comply with it.)